- 1/2kg bacon
- 3 extra-large potatoes peeled and chopped into medium sized pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar or Mexican blend shredded cheeses
- 3 green onions sliced thin
- Cook the Bacon: Spread the bacon strips out across a large rimmed baking sheet pan and place on the middle rack of a cold oven. Set the temperature to 400 degrees. Set a timer for 16 minutes and check the bacon. Remove it from the oven when it is as crisp or crunchy as you like. If you like your bacon crispy enough to crumble, you will probably want to cook it another minute past that.
- Cook the Potatoes: While the bacon is cooking, peel and chop the potatoes. Transfer the bacon to a paper towel lined plate to drain. There should be 2-3 tablespoons of bacon grease left on the sheet pan. (If there is more than that, drain off a bit.) Put the potatoes on the pan and toss with tongs to coat them in the bacon grease. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Spread the potatoes out in a single layer and bake for 20 minutes, stir well and bake an additional 20 minutes. Stir again, making sure that none of the potatoes are sticking to the tray. Bake another 15 minutes.
- Chop the bacon into small pieces. Remove the potatoes from the oven, stir again and sprinkle generously with shredded cheese and chopped bacon. Return the tray to the oven and bake an additional 2-3 minutes, until the cheese has melted. Top with sliced green onions just before serving.