The Research and development department coordinates implementation of activities and initiatives in other departments in the organization. It spearheads and oversees proposal writing, project implementation, monitoring and evaluation, impact assessment and technical reporting.
This department is in charge of research works and trials undertaken by NPCK in collaboration with partners and research organizations such as KALRO, CIP.
The department establishes solid partnership with knowledge institutions such as (Research and Academia) to develop quality standards, regulations and good practices instrumental in development of the industry. Collection and processing of data and information for business and scientific work is also performed in this department.
Owing to the importance of creating job opportunities and training, NPCK provides attachments/internship to students undertaking relevant courses and also for qualified individuals who have fleshly completed their studies. These interns are hosted by this department.
Some of the tasks undertaken by this department include
- Development of standardized potato training materials.
- Develop proposals for donor support-GIZ, CIP, AGRA, Ruforum, Grow Africa, Seed potato network, LEAP-Call, FAO, World Bank etc.
- Provide project management, implementation and M&E support on funded projects.
- Prepare project technical progress reports for submission to donors.
- Provide support in developing and reviewing Memorandums of Understanding and Agreements between NPCK and new partners.
- Coordinate countrywide research and development activities.
- Technology and innovation transfer to actors and players in the industry such as supporting youth and small & medium size enterprises to undertake business optimally in the potato sector.