Sustainable sourcing in general refers to the process of integrating ethical, social, and environmental performance aspects in the supplier selection process. In potato production, sustainable sourcing refers to the process of procuring raw materials or agricultural products while positively observing social, environmental, and economic factors. It is essential to implement and create sustainable agricultural sourcing systems that will result in a profitable business model and agricultural sustainability. Sustainable potato farming ensures multi-generational healthy crops. It involves taking care of soil year-round through inculcating practices such as crop rotation, planting cover crops and use of compost. It is also essential to implement practices that ensure reduced water, energy, and other inputs such as pesticides and fertilizers sparingly to realize wholesomeness of potatoes produced.
The rapid agricultural industrialization and population increase over the past few centuries has resulted in an increase of potato demand globally, thus increasing food safety and quality-related concerns. The emerging focus on sustainability enactment stresses on effective consumption and utilization of natural resources to stabilize the economic, societal, and ecological aspects of the agricultural-based businesses such as the potato industry. Potato farmers should have an incentive to enhance the environment and protect the natural resources at the same time producing high quality potatoes.
These practices include;
- Natural pest control
- Planting of companion crops
- Use of organic fertilizers
- Biotic farming methods
Importance of Sustainable Sourcing and Practices
- A well-marketed and developed sustainability initiative result in a positive brand reputation, thus improving consumers’ trust and increasing profits.
- Increased efficiency is achieved through engaging sustainable agricultural practices.
- This practices include; planting cover crops during off-seasons to avoid leaving farmland bare helps build soil health
- Additionally, it also increases staff retention and attracts well-skilled employees since most people today want to work in companies or enterprises where they feel they are contributing to society and the world.
- Companies that outsource these energy-saving services and products save alot of overhead costs.
Sustainable Procurement Procedure
- There are several important steps to consider achieving sustainable procurement.
- Communicate your strategy to decision makers or company stakeholders.
- Secondly, find suppliers that support your sustainable goals in Kenya such suppliers include online platforms such as ViaziSoko.
- Collaboration is another important step in getting all other departments or divisions of the company working together to achieve a common sustainability goal.
- The final step is a continuous evaluation of sustainable procurement practices that can be achieved through transparency of suppliers and companies that ensures consistent implementation of all aspects agreed upon by both parties.
Sustainable sourcing is essential across all industries. The main factor to consider is sustainable agricultural practices that involve sourcing safe and quality agricultural raw materials for potato production. The main objective of sustainable sourcing is building solid long-term relationships with suppliers. Better performance on social, environmental, and ethical issues is crucial to cultivating such relationships. Effective supply chain structures can build and foster competitive advantages for companies, especially in the potato sector. It is crucial for companies in all sectors to incorporate sustainable sourcing practices into their supply chain and procurement process as a measure to manage risks while tapping into the growing opportunities while maximizing their profits.