- 1 clove garlic
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temp, divided
- 3 lb. medium russet potatoes
- 2 tsp. fresh thyme
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 2 1/2 c. heavy cream, plus more if necessary
- 1/4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- Heat oven to 200°C. Rub garlic all over the inside of a shallow oval baking dish (2 inches deep), then butter the dish with 2 table spoon butter.
- Peel and thinly slice potatoes. Lay some slices in the dish, overlapping them to make one layer. Season with thyme and a rounded 1/8 table spoon each salt and pepper. Repeat with remaining potato slices, seasoning each layer with thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Pour cream over potatoes, pushing them down to make an even layer (cream should just cover potatoes; add more if necessary).
- Sprinkle with nutmeg, then dot with remaining 2 table spoon butter. Cover the dish with foil and bake 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake until top is golden and potatoes are tender, 35 to 45 minutes more. Let rest 10 minutes before serving.
A photo of potato gratin