NATINAL POTATO COUNCIL OF KENYA
The National Potato Council of Kenya (NPCK) is a Public Private Partnership (PPP) and a multi-stakeholder organization whose responsibility is to help plan, organize and co-ordinate potato value chain activities with the aim of developing the subsector into a robust, competitive and self-regulating industry. The NPCK was registered as a company limited by guarantee and incorporated under the Company’s Act Cap 486, Laws of Kenya, in August 2010, and launched on 25 November 2010. NPCK office is located at KALRO Kabete Campus off Waiyaki way.
The board is constituted of the representatives from private sector who are not less than 60% and from public institutions of national and county governments who are not more than 40% as per the following member categories:
Private institutions/ Associations
- Seed potato producers (Association or representative of seed producers)
- Potato Farmer association (Representative of potato farmer association/ cooperatives/ groups)
- Traders association (Association or Representative of potato traders)
- Processors (Association or Representative of potato processors)
- Representative from Service and input providers in potato industry
- Representatives from private research and professionals in potato industry
- Non- governmental organizations in support of potato subsector
- National government representative from ministry of agriculture
- Government agencies- KALRO, KEPHIS, KEBS, ADC, AFA, public research and any other
- County government representative in charge of agriculture representing potato producing counties from Rift valley and West of Rift Valley
- County government representative in charge of agriculture representing potato producing counties from East of Rift Valley
The success of NPCK is also made possible by a strong team of the following Board Members and Staffs:
- Ann Kibosia (CEC Agriculture Elgeyo Marakwet)- County government representative in charge of agriculture representing potato producing counties from Rift valley and West of Rift Valley
- Alex Kang’eri- State Department of Agriculture Representative (MoALF)
Mr. Chris Marete- Representative of potato farmer association/ cooperatives/ groups
- David Maingi- Seed potato producers (Association or representative of seed producers)
- Eddy Mburu-Potato Traders Association representative
- Humphrey Mburu-Potato Processors Representative.
- Jackson Muchoki- Development Partners’ Representative in support of potato subsector.
- James Karitu (CEC Agriculture Nyandarua)- County government representative in charge of agriculture representing potato producing counties from East of Rift Valley
- Judy Ogemma ( Agricultural Development Corporation)- Representative from the Government agencies
- Prof John Nderitu- Representative from private research and professionals in potato industry
- Pinakin Gurjar- Representative from Service and input providers in potato industry.
- Wachira Kaguongo-CEO, National Potato Council of Kenya
- Gladys Maingi-Ex Official and Technical advisor to the council
- Kimani Rugendo-Ex Official
The Potato Council has a dedicated team of staffs who are working hard towards realization of the company’s objectives. Their qualifications, training and experiences match very well with their positions which enable smooth and efficient performances of the subsector’s diverse activities. The company also provides opportunities for internships to students to train with us every three months. The interns get exposed to diverse hands-on trainings which equip them with the essential skills and knowledge crucial in potato subsector.
- Mr Wachira Kaguongo-CEO, National Potato Council of Kenya
- Charity Mukami- Manager, Research and Development
- Henry Chemjor-Value Chain Assistant Manager
- Joseph Aguk- Value Chain Support Officer
- Peter Kariuki-Value Chain Support Officer
- Catherine Syombua- Value Chain Support Officer
- Chris Odhiambo-Research and Development Officer
- Mr Henry Sabwa-Farm Assistant
- Samuel Ngari-Policy, Lobby and Advocacy Officer
- Simon Nyaga- Policy, Lobby and Advocacy Officer
- Thariq Muchiri- Head of Liaison, Partnership and Communication Department
- Adrine Wanjiku- Liaison, Partnership and Communication Officer
- Horace Muguna- ICT Support Officer.
- Mikah Kimani-Head of Finance and Administration Department.
- Daniel Kanja-Accounts Assistant
- Lillian Juma- Administrative Assistant
- Geoffrey Angukwa-Office Assistant