- NATIONAL POTATO COUNCIL OF KENYA
The National Potato Council of Kenya (NPCK) is a Public-Private Partnership (PPP) and a multi-stakeholder organization whose responsibility is to help plan, organize and co-ordinate potato value chain activities with the aim of developing the subsector into a robust, competitive, and self-regulating industry. The NPCK was registered as a company limited by guarantee and incorporated under the Company’s Act Cap 486, Laws of Kenya, in August 2010, and launched on 25 November 2010. NPCK office is located at KALRO Kabete Campus off Waiyaki way.
The board is constituted of representatives from the private sector who are not less than 60% and from public institutions of National and County governments who are not more than 40% as per the following member categories:
Private institutions/ Associations
- Seed potato producers (Association or representative of seed producers)
- Potato Farmer Association (Representative of potato farmer association/ cooperatives/ groups)
- Traders association (Association or Representative of potato traders)
- Processors (Association or Representative of potato processors)
- A representative from Service and input providers in the potato industry
- Representatives from private research and professionals in the potato industry
- Non- governmental organizations in support of the potato subsector
- National government representative from the ministry of agriculture
- Government agencies- KALRO, KEPHIS, KEBS, ADC, AFA, public research, and any other
- County government representative in charge of agriculture representing potato producing counties from Rift valley and West of Rift Valley
- County government representative in charge of agriculture representing potato producing counties from East of Rift Valley
The success of NPCK is also made possible by a strong team of the following Board Members and Staff:
- Board Members
- Prof John Nderitu-Board Chairman and Representative from private research and professionals in potato industry
- Mr.David Maingi- Board Treasurer and Seed potato producers (Association or representative of seed producers)
- Mr.Wachira Kaguongo- Board Secretary and CEO, National Potato Council of Kenya
- Mr.Douglas K. Kangi- Director of Crop Resources, Agribusiness and Market Development (MoALF)
- Dr.Teresa Kinyungu-State department of agriculture representative (MOALF)
- Ms.Ann Kibosia (CEC Agriculture Elgeyo Marakwet)- County government representative in charge of agriculture representing potato producing counties from Rift valley and West of Rift Valley
- Mr.Chris Marete- Representative of potato farmer association/ cooperatives/ groups
- Mr.Eddy Mburu-Potato Traders Association representative
- Mr.Humphrey Mburu-Potato Processors Representative.
- Mr.Jackson Muchoki- Development Partners’ Representative in support of potato subsector.
- Mr.James Karitu (CEC Agriculture Nyandarua)- County government representative in charge of agriculture representing potato producing counties from East of Rift Valley
- Ms.Judy Ogemma ( Agricultural Development Corporation)- Representative from the Government agencies
- Mr.Pinakin Gurjar- Representative from Service and input providers in the potato industry.
- Ms.Gladys Maingi-Ex Official and Technical advisor to the council
- Mr.Kimani Rugendo-Ex Official
The Potato Council has a dedicated team of staff who are working hard towards the realization of the company’s objectives. Their qualifications, training, and experiences match very well with their positions which enable smooth and efficient performances of the subsector’s diverse activities. The company also provides opportunities for internships to students to train with us every three months. The interns get exposed to diverse hands-on training which equips them with the essential skills and knowledge crucial in the potato subsector.
Mr. Wachira Kaguongo-CEO, National Potato Council of Kenya
Research and Development Department
- Shadrack Omondi-Officer
Value Chain Department
Ian Mahinda-value chain Officer
Ann Fresiah Kinyua-Intern
Policy, Lobby and Advocacy Department
Sarah Neema – Policy, Lobby and Advocacy Officer
Liaison, Partnership, and Communication Department
Sarah Neema- Liaison and Partnerships Officer
Margaret Kimani- Communication and Events Officer
Martin Muriithi- ICT Officer
Finance and Administration
Milkah Kimani-Head of Finance and Administration Department.
Sheilah Angeshi- Admin assistant
Geoffrey Angukwa-Office Assistant