Potato crisps are thin slices of potatoes that may have been deep fried or baked until they become crunchy. They are a snack of choice for many people especially urbanites. They are majorly industrially made and packed in air tight packets.
However, most crisps lovers are unaware that they can make crisps comfortably at home with simple ingredients and basic kitchen utensils. Apart from being way more affordable ,by making crisps at home you are in control of the quality of ingredients, hygiene as well as sure of its freshness .
To make a bowl of crisps, you need:
- 1kg of potatoes
- 1ltr Oil
- Water for washing the potatoes
Ready in 20 minutes
- First slice the potatoes, carefully, to roughly 3mm thick. A slicer will make it easier and less dangerous for your fingers as well as keep the slices even.
- Rinse the potato slices in cold water, then leave to soak for around half an hour, this is to remove the outside starch.
- Next, fill a large pan, preferably one that is deep, with oil. Vegetable and sunflower oil all work well. Heat to between 160 and 180 degrees. (Alternatively, you can test temperatures by putting in a piece of bread to see how quickly it browns and crisps. The right temperature should be around a minute.
- Drain and dry the potato slices on a piece of kitchen roll before frying them in batches until golden.
- After removing from the oil, place the crisps on kitchen roll to remove excess oil and then add salt, pepper and any other seasonings you fancy for flavor.
- Leave to cool for extra crunch when you bite into them.
Add chilies or tomato source to enjoy your tasty crisps!