Potato is the second best staple food to the Kenyan population coming immediately after maize hence there is still more to be discovered about the crop. Preparation of potatoes varies from one person to the other based on the recipe of the consumer. Potatoes will still remain to be the best source of starch and other additional nutrients that are of great impact to human health.
This article outlines ways that will be of importance to one’s health and that will help save on additional daily expenses like costs of buying drugs to correct some complications like heartburn. Given its various nutritional contents, it is best to eat potatoes for breakfast as they provide all the minerals you need to keep you healthy throughout the day.
All thanks to potatoes, we have our beloved French fries, one of human race’s favorite dishes. Although this dish is not as healthy as it should be, a lot of other dishes with potatoes as an ingredient are healthier. There are potatoes in your curries, potatoes in your stews, street-side cart, homemade pulavs and biryani, potatoes are everywhere. Its ability to blend into any preparation and shine as one of the star ingredients is what makes it a favourite in kitchens. Potatoes are an excellent source of vitamin C, Potassium, fibre, B vitamins copper, tryptophan, manganese and even lutein,( ‘Healing Foods’ by DK Publishing). It also works wonders for curbing inflammation in the body, boost immunity and healthy blood circulation. When one consumes potatoes in the morning, he will save on cost and health-wise by;
- Reducing Inflammation: According to the book ‘Healing Foods’ the “Alkalising and anti-inflammatory, potatoes soothe stomach and duodenum ulcers and reduce stomach acidity. They may also relieve the inflammation associated with arthritis.” This will help in reducing medical related costs when trying to reverse the health complication.
- Helps Calm You down: according to the book ‘Healing Foods’, Potatoes, especially its white flesh, is rich with tryptophan, an amino acid with natural sedative properties that helps calm the nerves. L-tryptophan is an amino acid. L-tryptophan is called an essential amino acid but our body can’t make it naturally. It must be acquired from food like potatoes. With this, one doesn’t have to spend on nutritional supplement tablets.
- Help Promote Digestion: The high fiber content of potatoes aids in smoother digestion. Fiber supports digestion and promotes bowel regularity by adding bulk to stool. Potatoes can also help quick recovery from diarrhea, they are rich in potassium; a mineral that is excessively lost during diarrhea.
- Relieve Premenstrual Symptoms: According to studies, potato juice could help alleviate Premenstrual syndrome symptoms. The high carb content of potatoes, helps elevate the levels of tryptophan, which further boosts the serotonin production in the body (Serotonin is also called the happiness hormone). This spike in serotonin helps improving mood and reduces anxiety hence a person is active throughout the day and becomes economically productive.
- Improve Brain Health: The alpha lipoic acid, a co-enzyme present in the potatoes can help boost overall cognitive health. Experts have linked this acid to have beneficial effects on Alzheimer’s patients as well.