Butter cream mashed potatoes are a super simple side dish perfect with anything!
3 large potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
2 tablespoons or (1 stick) butter, plus 2 tablespoons for garnish
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 whole milk
1/2 sour cream
Instructions on how to prepare
- In a large pot, cover potatoes with water and add a generous pinch of salt. Bring to a boil and cook until very soft, 16 to 18 minutes. Drain and return potatoes to pot.
- Use a potato masher to mash potatoes until smooth.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt butter with milk until warm.
- Pour over warm milk-butter mixture and stir until completely combined and creamy. Add sour cream and stir until combined.
- Season mashed potatoes generously with salt and pepper.
- Transfer potatoes to a serving bowl and top with remaining two tablespoons butter. Season with more pepper before serving.