The National Potato Council of Kenya (NPCK) is a multi-stakeholder and a public private partnership (PPP) organization responsible for organizing and coordinating the activities of the potato subsector. The NPCK structure enable it to draw synergies from a wide membership representing institutions, organizations and associations from public and private sectors that include seed and ware potato farmers, traders, processors, extension, research, academia, financial institutions, development partners, national and county governments (KENAFF, KENAPOFA, MoALF, AFFA, KEPHIS and STAK etc).
The National Potato Council of Kenya is registered as a company limited by guarantee incorporated under the companies Act Cap 486 Laws of Kenya.
NPCK VISION STATEMENT
Potato industry is a leading contributor to increased incomes, food security, and improved welfare in Kenya
NPCK MISSION STATEMENT
Coordinate potato sub-sector stakeholders towards development of potato industry’s profitability and livelihoods improvement.
The NPCK Strategic Plan is anchored on six objectives:
1. To contribute in creating an enabling environment for effective and efficient potato value chains for growth and development of a self-regulating potato industry.
2. To help build a cohesive potato industry in order to promote synergies and minimize duplication for efficient use of resources through enhanced public private partnership
3. To promote best practices for quality standards, improved yields and enhanced value addition in order to thrive in local, regional, and global markets.
4. To create a platform for information management and capacity building for the various potato value chain actors.
5. To mobilize and effectively manage resources for the growth and stability of the organization and prosperity of the industry.
6. To identify and mainstream crosscutting and emerging issues within the potato industry
1. Collect, process and disseminate subsector information
2. Provide an avenue for creating awareness about partners’ products and services through NPCK website and publications
3. Offer a platform for networking and business engagements through annual National Potato Conference and trade fair, County trade fairs in potato producing zones, and bi annual stakeholders meetings
4. Facilitate development of standardized branded seed and ware potato packaging bags for use by farmers and traders for quality adherence
5. Facilitate market linkages between Potato farmers and the market outlets and between seed producers and ware potato farmers.
6. Inform policy formulation for the subsector, promote adherence to regulations and adoption of good agricultural practices
7. Lobby and advocacy for supportive policy and legal framework
8. Consultancy services along the potato value chain
9. Training and capacity building of farmers, farmer cooperatives and farmer associations
10. Act as a National platform for planning, organizing, and coordination of all sub sector activities